Posted on: 2018-05-01
Last updated: 2018-05-01
Data collection from Visitors
When are visiting our surfing our website, you provide us with data. This data does not include any personal data. Here is details about the data we collect, why, how, and for how long.
Data that we automatically collect about you
Just like all other companies which sell digital services or products, we need to know how people use our website or app. This is achieved through using analytics and tracking tools in our website and app. These terms may sound scary and connote a negative message. But we can assure you that we don’t do anything evil here.
WHAT data we collect and HOW
Through Google Analytics: Both on our website and in our app, we use a service from Google which is called Google Analytics. Google Analytics is used for tracking page views and user behaviour within SurveyLegend services. We may collect device information such as device type, operating system and browser version.
Important to know that data is kept in Google’s systems and is not used to track individual users only to get an overview of large groups of users. Google Analytics shows us general information which are not personally identifiable! For example, we cannot not see who exactly has searched for which keyword on Google to find our website, or we can never know which one of our current visitors lives exactly where.
As explained in the previous sections, we just see general behavior of our visitors or users, which countries they are from, which pages on our website are mostly visited, what devices (computers, tables, or smartphones) or web browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc..) are used to access our site or app, and things like that.
Another thing we can notice is generic browsing patterns, for instance users who come to page A, usually go to page B, and then from there go to page C, an then X% of them will create an account. So here is nothing personal.
Through LiveChat: We are also known to provide a superior live chat support both to our users and website visitors. To accomplish this, we use a tool called Livechat. This application has an built-in tracking system that provides us with some data and insights about users and their way of surfing our site or app, which we will explain below.
As a visitor or a SurveyLegend user, you do not have to use the live chat support. But if you decide to use it, you will be asked to provide your name and email address. As soon as the chat session starts, our support agent will be able to see the following pieces of information about you:
– your email (which you type yourself)
– your name (which you type yourself)
– your public IP address which shows your country and country
– your local time
– your browser model and version
– your operating system
– whether you are a new user, a paying user, or a returning visitor
– whether we have chatted before, and the chat history in this case
– which web-page in our site or which pane in our app are you looking at
– and a few previous pages on our site or panes in our app, that you visited before chatting with us
Through Cookies The cookies SurveyLegend uses are small text files that store data made available by your web browser, such as language preference. Cookies do not provide us with any personally identifiable information. Cookies do not harm your computer or impact your online security. You can change or block cookies in your browser settings.
WHY we collect and HOW we use this data
Data from Google Analytics:
In order to provide an optimized version of our applications for your device type. Please be aware we also collect and process data related to the use of our software and services by our users and their respondents. Such data is collected anonymously and processed collectively. We use this information with the following intentions
– To improve user experience, identifying bottlenecks and pain points, improving performance and ease of use.
– For statistical purposes and may also use it to improve our software or create and improve new services.
– To monitor and improve our services and features. We internally execute statistical and other analysis on information we gather (including usage data, device data, referral data, and information from page tags) to understand and measure user behavior. This helps us to understand how people use our services, so we can improve them.
– To prevent potentially illegal activities when using our services.
– To measure generic browsing patterns, for instance users who come to page A (which might be an external page, or internal page), usually go to page B, and then from there go to page C, an then X% of them will create an account. This helps us know why our services are interesting for potential users, and what makes them a real User.
Data from LiveChat:
– Provide a more personalized help
– Save your time and avoid unnecessary questions, such as: Are you our user? Have we chatted before? Can you tell us your question again? What browser do you use? Have you visited our user guide about this feature? and so forth…
– Provide a faster and more accurate support, for example when we know a bug that you may be reporting is caused by an old web-browser version that you may be using, we can recommend you to upgrade your browser.
– Save records of our conversations with you to be able to get back to you again, when we have answer to your questions, if we couldn’t provide a satisfactory answer right away.
– Transfer your support requests or support tickets to our development team, in case their engagement is required to solve your problem. For instance when you report a bug, or some feature does not work specifically for your account.
Also the IP-addresses help us filter out or block visitors who simply want to have some fun and waste time, so we can instead focus on real users who really need help or have questions.
Cookies: are used for technical reasons, for instance to keep you logged-in in your account.
HOW LONG we keep this data
Our data in Google Analytics: is stored there as long as we have our Google Analytics account. Keep in mind that we do not have any personal data there!
Our data in LiveChat: If we chat with you, our conversation history and the mentioned data about you is encrypted and stored on LiveChat’s data centers located in Europe, only visible by our support agents. Whenever you wish, you can ask our support agents to delete your chat history. At the time of writing this document, LiveChat is working on becoming fully compliant with GDPR, and we are working on signing a “Data Processing Agreement” with them.
Data that you actively provide to us
When you contact us
You can contact us through different ways, for example using online contact forms spread across our services and website such as our support page, contact page, our social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, Instagram, LinkedIn, or using our Live Chat.
WHAT data we collect and HOW
It depends on how you contact us.
- If you use social media, we naturally see your name or nickname, and your profile picture; and if you have shared your profile info publicly (such as your job, age, etc) it is also visible to us (but we don’t look at people’s profiles). We don’t collect or save this data in that sense, as it is displayed by the social media service.
- If you use our online contact forms, we ask for your name and email.
- If you use our LiveChat, we ask for your name and email. Our LiveChat conversation history and other data and we automatically collect about you (explained further down) is encrypted and stored on LiveChat’s data centers located in Europe, only visible by our support agents. At the time of writing this document, LiveChat is working on becoming fully compliant with GDPR, and we are working on signing a “Data Processing Agreement” with them.
- and of course what you write to us is also collected.
WHY we collect
- Names and emails are collected for us to be able to contact you, and or find or conversation history, for example if we have a support conversation with you.
How we USE this data
- To give you customer support, which requires us to access your information to assist you (for instance with making or designing online surveys or for technical troubleshooting).
- Save records of our conversations with you to be able to get back to you again, when we have answer to your questions, if we couldn’t provide a satisfactory answer right away.
- Transfer your support requests or support tickets to our development team, in case their engagement is required to solve your problem. For instance when you report a bug, or some feature does not work specifically for your account.
- To create new services, features or content. We may use your feedback, feature requests, or complaints, to create and provide new services, features or contents.
HOW LONG we keep this data
As long as you deliberately ask us to delete our conversations. Otherwise, they will remain in our email system or LiveChat history.
Your rights to your data
Ask us to manually delete our conversations with you, via email or LiveChat.