Relationships: there’s the good, the bad, and the ugly. Some relationships are rocky, while some are smooth sailing. They may be broken but fixable, or completely beyond repair. Either way, for relationship or marriage counselors, relationship surveys help them understand how a couple is getting along and what they can do to improve the relationship. For researchers, these surveys shed light on the state of relationships today. And for individuals, relationship quizzes give them some insight into what they need and expect from a partner.
What is a Relationship Survey?
A relationship survey, or a couples survey, poses a series of questions to people in a relationship (dating, cohabitating, married, and divorced) to understand the compatibility of and the chemistry between a couple, strengths and weaknesses of the relationship, challenges, expectations, frustrations, and more. All these factors can impact the health of a relationship, and the couples survey aims to get to the bottom of things.
Couples surveys are used by counselors and researchers, and sometimes by the couple themselves (you’ve probably come across many online relationship quizzes, or seen them in lifestyle magazines – although many of these aren’t scientific and are often just for fun). Counselors generally employ relationship quizzes to gain an understanding of the couples’ needs, while researchers are looking into people’s overall thoughts on relationships, marriage, and divorce, and how it may be impacting society as a whole.
Relationship Statistics in 2022
So what kind of information can a relationship survey reveal? It depends on the purpose of the survey, of course. But, here’s a sampling of some relationship statistics collected through surveys conducted by Pew Research, Market Watch, Institute for Family Studies, Psychology Today, USE Today, NPR, and others.
- 14% of couples met in high school.
- 26% of teens met their romantic partner offline.
- 60% of long-distance relationships are successful.
- 63% of college men say they want a traditional relationship.
- 29% of millennials say they aren’t financially ready for marriage.
- 24% of college seniors are still virgins.
- 70% of millennials want to get married.
- 11 million Americans are married to someone of a different ethnicity.
- 8% of straight couples have a 10+ year age gap; 25% of gay couples have a 10+ year age gap.
- 20% of men and 13% of women cheat on their partner.
- 7.8 million Americans use online dating website Tinder.
- 64% of Americans say they are happy in their relationship.
- Long-distance couples exchange 343 texts every week.
Relationship Questions to Ask with Survey Examples
Below are a variety of relationship questions that can be asked of couples. These can be presented as a couples survey or as a relationship quiz.
Is Your Relationship Healthy?
These questions can be asked with multiple choice answers such as always, sometimes, rarely, and never.
- Encourages and support me
- Listens to me when I have something on my mind
- Gets very jealous or possessive
- Tries to control how I look or what I wear
- Is critical of my habits or hobbies
- Keeps me from my family or friends
- Respects my alone time
- Pressures me into being intimate
- Accuses me of flirting or cheating
- Can scare me (yelling, breaking things, threatening me)
Below, you can see how a SurveyLegend matrix survey is perfect for a series of questions like this. Go ahead and try it, it’s live!
What Do You Want From Your Partner?
These relationship questions can be best presented with multiple choice answers. Employing imagery makes the survey even more engaging.
It’s most meaningful when my partner…
- Tells me how much he/she loves me and appreciates me
- Offers to take care of chores/kids/errands when I’m busy
- Shows physical affection such as hugging or holding hands
- Picks me up a gift to let me know they were thinking of me
- Gives me his/her undivided attention
- Take me out for dinner/movies/fun
Below, you can see how a SurveyLegend ranking question is perfect for this type of survey, even offering survey image choices to make a more emotional connection with the survey participant. Try it out now, it’s live!
How Well Do You Know Your Partner?
This survey is one that can be taken individually, however some counselors use it as a relationship quiz for couples to take together, as it can be an eye-opener. Generally, questions are simply answered as yes or no.
- My partner’s best friends
- What challenges/stressors my partner is facing at work/in life
- Most of my partner’s life dreams/goals
- My partner’s basic life philosophy
- The relatives my partner likes the most/least
- What things or people irritate my partner
- What scares my partner
- My partner’s favorite [movie/book/restaurant/place]
- What my partner wants for their birthday
- How to make my partner happy
Below, this SurveyLegend survey with images uses the popular thumbs up/down format to find out how well the couple knows one another.
Are You Happy in Your Relationship?
This type of survey is meant to see each partner’s satisfaction level with various aspects of their relationship. On text-based surveys, couples usually respond on a scale of one to five.
How Satisfied Are You with Your Partner for the Following in Your Relationship?
- Emotional Support
- Financial Support
- Se Life
- Mutual Respect
- Spontaneity/New Experiences
- Time Together
- Time Apart
In the SurveyLegend slider survey below, couples can slide the marker on the scale to indicate their satisfaction level. Using a slider survey provides interactivity, which increases engagement (and accuracy of answers).
Relationship surveys and relationship quizzes are valuable tools for counselors and couples. They provide insight into what’s working and what isn’t, what can be fixed and what cannot. These surveys also allow researchers to analyze the state of relationships (including marriages and divorces) today, and how attitudes and beliefs have changed throughout the years.
So what’s the best way to go about conducting a relationship survey or quiz? With SurveyLegend, the free online survey maker. SurveyLegend allows you to choose from a variety of Q&A formats in order to ask relationship questions that get answers. You can also add images, which improves engagement and can be used to tailor relationship questions for him and her. Start today for free with SurveyLegend?
Are you a relationship counselor looking for relationship surveys? Or a researcher? Perhaps you’re creating your own relationship survey to send to family and friends. Either way, let us know what you think of our survey tool in the comments!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Also known as a couples survey, this questionnaire poses questions to one or both partners to determine the health of the relationship and to uncover problems and areas for improvement.
A relationship quiz is similar to a professional relationship survey, although they’re often included on dating websites and in magazines as a fun time-passer not based on expert opinion.
Relationship surveys are used by relationship counselors, churches officiating weddings, researchers, and so on. Couples may also use them on their own to better understand one another.